Friday, November 28, 2008

love, laughter and gratitude

Gratitude comes as easily as laughter at a family gathering. No matter what the occassion, we laugh and eat and eat and laugh, ultimately not knowing whether our bellies ache from too many helpings or the side-splitting humor. We weave our way through many threads of conversation, most of it serious -- politics, the economy, international events. The inevitability of the turning leaves only the question of when. When will my brother or nephew turn a phrase that will have us doubled-over? When will my mother say something so utterly unexpected and shocking that we can't contain ourselves? How long will it be before my sister-in-law surrenders to snorting? No meal is complete without the snorting.

I am truly thankful for my family, for knowing that at every meal, they'll serve up a full course of laughter. All of it drizzled with love.

1 comment:

Dr. Jay SW said...

Glad to hear it, oh mysterious blogger person who apparently has a nice family....

I'm grateful my recent family gathering turned out harmonious as well...grateful it didn't turn ugly, which was a family tradition for so long, which it looked like might be back this year...but wasn't...

and grateful for friends willing to listen to my fear and anger over coffee....